Learn from expert storyteller, Matthew Dicks, how to tell a compelling story to help customers know, like, and trust you better.
JMH Media is now Website Squirrel!
I’m super excited to announce that JMH Media is now Website Squirrel. Check out our new website at www.websitesquirrel.com
What makes a good story?
- You have to be entertaining first.
- Whatever your reason for telling a story, you need to make an impression on your audience.
- Stories make us feel good
- Stories entertain and people enjoy them.
- Transformation! We need to have a realization or change in order for the story to be meaningful.
- Good stories show vulnerability.
- Your stories should be relatable.
How can a brand craft good stories?
- All stories should have a thesis statement.
- When it comes to a brand, your thesis is that the world lacked something until the company came along and fixed it.
- Then, you add relatability and vulnerability to the story.
- Stories are powerful when it comes to building a brand.
Truth in storytelling
- Always tell the truth.
- You can strategically leave out details that don’t pertain to the story you want to tell.
- You can embellish when it’s obvious that you’re embellishing, but you shouldn’t embellish in a deceitful way.
Where should a brand start when they want to craft a story?
- Start with how the company came about.
- Who had the original idea? Where were they when they had the idea? How did the company develop?
- Interview all of the people in the company. What’s their story with it? Why are they working where they are?
Homework for Life
- Every day, we experience moments that are story worthy.
- You might notice them briefly, but then they’ll disappear if they aren’t recorded.
- Every day, write down one thing that happened today that is story worthy.
- Don’t write the whole story. Just record the moment.
- Homework for Life | Matthew Dicks | TEDxBerkshires
Make sure that people know who you are
- When you talk to someone make sure that they know who you are.
- People connect with other people.
- Give them little details about yourself that they can connect with.
Connect with Matthew Dicks
Podcast: Speak Up Storytelling
Follow Website Squirrel
Listen & Subscribe
We’d love to hear from you!
Have some feedback about the show? Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or your favorite app to help more people discover the show!